It is used to express a running or ongoing action at present time. It expresses an action which is in progress at the time of speaking. And also it used for a future plan which we plan.
Middle Of An Action
When we are in Middle Of An Action.
- I am giving a lecture.
- Ali is sleeping.
- We are taking the class.
- Negative: I am not giving a lecture.
- Interrogative: Am I giving a lecture?
- Neg. Int: Am I not giving a lecture?
There are some basic rules.
- I = Am( I am a Student )
- You = Are( You are a Student )
- They = Are( They are Students )
- We = Are( We are Students )
- He = Is( He is a Student )
- She = Is( She is a Student )
- It = Is( It Is a Pen )
- Any Name = Is( Ali is a Student )
Changing & Development
It talks about changing & development.
- Alina is getting fat.
- Ali is getting clever.
- They are getting smart.
- Negative: He is not getting fat.
- Interrogative: Is he getting fat?
- Neg. Int: Is he not getting fat?
When we do something for a short period of time.
- I am having lunch.
- Ali is watching a movie.
- They are riding a bicycle.
- Negative: I am not having lunch.
- Interrogative: Am I having lunch?
- Neg. Int: Am I not having lunch?
When We have planned to do something in future.
- I am going to Dubai next week.
- She is making pizza tonight.
- We are meeting tomorrow.
- Negative: She is not making pizza tonight.
- Interrogative: Is she making pizza tonight?
- Neg. Int: Is she not making pizza tonight?