Past Perfect Tense to talk about those actions which started in the Past and also done in the Past Time. Usually, a long time ago and action which has occurred in past before another action in past.
A completed action before past simple.
- Alina had made food.
- They had watched the movie.
- When they reached the station, The train had gone.
- Negative: We had not met before.
- Interrogative: Had we met before?
- Neg. Int: Had we not met before?
Here are some more examples of Tense Past Perfect.
- He had played cricket
- Alina had climbed up to the Plane.
- The patient had died before the doctor came.
- Ali had gone to office.
- They had watched a movie.
- He had not played cricket.
- Had he played cricket?
- Had he not played cricket?
When we talk about Profession, Relation, Existence & Condition so we will always use this verb Been
And When we talk about Property, Illness & Parts of the body so we will use this verb Had.
|Been||Condition, Profession, Relation & Existence|
|Had||Property, Illness & Parts of body|
Non-Action / State
We use it for Condition & Property.
- He had been in I.C.U for four hours. (Condition)
- Ali had been a teacher since 2008. (Profession)
- Alina had been my friend For six months. (Relation)
- They had been in class for two hours. (Existence)
- Ali had had a bike for one year. (Property)
- Alina had had a fever for four days. (Illness)
- Ali had had long hairs for four years. (Parts of body)
Note: For Negative Sentences of Conditions we will simply add Not after the verb. And for Property, We will use Helping verb Do / Does after the verb.
- Negative: He had not been in I.C.U for two hours.
- Interrogative: Had he been in I.C.U for two hours?
- Neg. Int: Had he not been in I.C.U for two hours?
- Negative: I had not had a bike for one year.
- Interrogative: Had I had a bike for one year?
- Neg. Int: Had I not had a bike for one year?
Here are some basics rules of using Since and For.
|Since (Starting Point)||For (Time Duration)|
|Since Morning||For Five Hours|
|Since 1990||For Ten Years|
|Since Childhood||For Two Days|
|Since August||For Three Hours|