When any action starts in past and ended in past usually a very little time before speaking. The time of action is not specified in terms of a long time ago or short ago but it makes a sense that the action has done a little time ago.
An action started in the past and finished in the past.
- Alina gave presentation yesterday.
- Children went to school.
- They went to the picnic.
- Negative: I did not give a presentation yesterday.
- Interrogative: Did I give a presentation yesterday?
- Neg. Int: Did I not give a presentation yesterday?
There are some basic rules.
- I = Was( I was student )
- You = Were( You were student )
- We = Were( We were student )
- They = Were( They were student )
- He = Was( He was student )
- She = Was( She was student )
- It = Was( It was Pen )
- Any Name = Was( Chris was student )
When we talk about Profession, Relation, Existence & Condition so we will always use these verb Was / Were
And When we talk about Property, Illness & Parts of the body so we will use this verb Had.
|Was / Were||Condition, Profession, Relation & Existence|
|Had||Property, Illness & Parts of the body|
Non-Action / State
We use it for Condition & Property.
- There were cold in Islamabad. (Condition)
- Alina was a teacher. (Profession)
- They were good friends. (Relation)
- Ali was in office. (Existence)
- I had four markers. (Property)
- Alina had a fever. (Illness)
- Ali had long hairs. (Parts of body)
Note: For Negative Sentences of Conditions we will simply add Not after the helping verb.
- Negative: She was not clever.
- Interrogative: Was she week?
- Neg. Int: Was she not a week?
- Negative: I did not have two markers.
- Interrogative: Did I have two markers?
- Neg. Int: Did I not have two markers?