PRESENT PROGRESSIVE (Passive)
We use Present Progressive/Continuous passive voice for the action which is going on at the same time of speaking. But, in passive, doer is not mentioned in subjective form. It's used as an object.
Middle Of An Action
We use it for present running action.
- Lecture is being given
- English is being spoken.
- Football is being played.
- Negative: Lecture is not being given.
- Interrogative: Is Lecture being given?
- Neg. Int: Is Lecture not being given?
Main Points Of Passive Voice
There are some main points, we need to understand this before making the passive Voice sentences.
1) Object of the active voice becomes subject while subject of the active voice becomes object.
2) In passive voice, subject doesn't work
3) There is no need to use object in passive voice. Because we needn't tell that by whom the action was taken.
4) Use by before the object of the passive voice, if you use the object.
5) Always use the 3rd form of the verb in each passive voice.
6) Some of the verbs carry to instead of by, as. e.g He knows me. > I am known to him.
7) We can also make Passive Voice sentences without using the Object which we use in the end.
Here are some more examples of Passive Voice Present Progressive.
- the movie is being watched.
- Air Condition is being repaired.
- the Presentation is being given by Ali.
- Oscar award is being given to Tom Cruise.
- They are being eliminated.
- The movie is not being watched.
- Air Condition is not being repaired.
- Is movie being watched?
- Is Air Condition being repaired?
- Is movie not being watched?
- Is Air Condition not being repaired?
By these examples, you can easily understand the difference between Active Voice and Passive Voice of Present progressive.
|Active Voice||Passive Voice|
|Alina is writing the letter||The letter is being written by Alina|
|He is playing cricket||Cricket is being played by him|
|You are cooking cookies||The cookies are being cooked by him|
|The washerman is washing the clothes||The clothes are being washed by the washerman|