PASSIVE VOICE TENSE DEFINITION & EXAMPLES
Passive voice tense is the best part of English language.
Passive voice tense is easy to understand and speak.
You will enjoy to learn passive voice.
Definition & Use Of Passive Voice
The passive voice is used whenever we emphasize the action (the verb) and the object of a sentence rather than subject is either less important than the action itself or that we don't know who or what the subject is.
Examples in Every Chapter
Here is the one example of Present Simple Passive voice tense which will help to understand in an easy way.
An action which happens again & again.
- Cricket is played.
- Clothes are washed.
- The Car is driven.
- Negative: Cricket is not played.
- Interrogative: Is cricket played?
- Neg. Int: Is cricket not played?
Rules Of Passive Voice
Here are some rules of passive voice tense, we need to understand this before making the passive voice sentences.
1) Object of the active voice becomes subject while subject of the active voice becomes object.
2) In passive voice, subject doesn't work
3) There is no need to use object in passive voice. Because we needn't tell that by whom the action was taken.
4) Use by before the object of the passive voice, if you use the object.
5) Always use the 3rd form of the verb in each passive voice.
6) Some of the verbs carry to instead of by, as. e.g He knows me. > I am known to him.
7) We can also make Passive Voice sentences without using the Object which we use in the end.
Difference b/w Active Voice & Passive Voice
The difference between active voice tense and passive voice is simply this, in the active voice, the doer of the action will be the subject, while in passive voice, the subject is the receiver of the action.
In most cases, writing in the active voice makes it easier for readers to understand your message because the sentence is written in a logical order doer of action + action + receiver of action (if any) When this order is changed, as it is in the passive voice, the message is less straightforward and therefore less clear and effective.
|Active Voice||Passive Voice|
|I speak English||English Is Spoken|
|I am Playing Cricket||Cricket is being Played|
|Ali drives the car.||The car is driven by the Ali|
How do I recognize passive voice?
There are three signs that will help you recognize a sentence in passive voice tense.
- The subject is 'not' doing the action.
- A verb is always a form of be + a past participle (often ending in -ed).
- are groomed
- were painted
- will be destroyed
- is being recorded
- Often the doer of the action is expressed in a prepositional phrase starting with by.
- by Ali
- by the students
- by the sculptor
List Of Passive Voice Tense
Here are the list of Passive Voice tense.