A conjunction is a part of speech and it is derived from Greek word ( Conjunctous ) that means to connect. Conjunction is a word or group of words which connects phrases, clauses, words and sentences.
- • You can eat your cake with a fork or spoon.
- • I like Pizza but I hate zinger.
- • You can have vanilla ice cream or a brownie sundae.
Types of Conjunctions
Here are the different types of conjunctions.
- Coordinate Conjunction
- Subordinate Conjunction
- Correlative conjunctions
Coordinate conjunctions such as but, or, and, for, so, nor, or yet are used to join individual words, phrases and independent clauses.
- She stood first and got a prize.
- He is sad but hopeful.
- The snake is small but dangerous.
- You must hard work or you may fail in the examination.
The subordinate clause such as because, since, as, until, although etc. are used to join an independent clause to a dependent clause. The subordinate conjunctions are used before the dependent clauses. the Dependent clause can be placed before or after the independent clauses.
- He never gives up until he wins.
- Since she had a headache, she did not go to work.
- Though he loved his cousin, she married another one.
- Despite calling several times, he never received a reply.
Correlative conjunctions are pairs of conjunctions such as not only - but also, neither - nor, either - or etc. used in the sentences to link words, phrases and clauses. Correlative conjunctions connect two words or phrases or clauses those have the similar structure and are grammatically similar. That means nouns are linked to nouns, prepositional phrases to prepositional phrases adjectives to adjectives.
- She is both a knave and a fool. (noun to noun)
- He is both good and wise. (adjective to adjective)
- Ali must either work or go. (verb to verb)
- He is not only honest but also hardworking.
- She is so tired that she cannot run.
- I don't know whether she is coming or not.
- I trust him because he had never told a lie.
- It is not in my favour but I have to do it.
- Although I worked hard yet could not get success.
- She has none else than her mother.
List of all Conjunctions
Here are the all conjunction list which is used in our grammar.
- as soon as